[
Copy Protect Web Pages and Media

Copy Protection for Web Page Content

While it is possible to restrict copying in popular web browsers, the situation is far from ideal as it becomes virtually impossible to prevent access from every possible angle. The usual options for copy and save are:
  • Right mouse click to "save as".
  • Browser menu option for saving the page with all embedded media.
  • Right mouse click to save the page with all embedded media.
  • Highlighting by mouse select and copy-and-paste to the clipboard.
  • Click select by mouse and drag-and-drop to the desktop.
  • Right mouse click to send to a printer or file driver for conversion.
  • Browser menu option for sending to printer or file converter.
  • Right mouse click to send attached to an email.
  • Browser menu option for sending as an email attachment.
  • Using Ctrl C or Print Screen to create a screenshot of the page.
  • Using screen capture software and recorders to copy pages and video.
  • Locating the download resource of media from view of source code.
  • Using site and file grabbers to download media linked from a page.
  • Using file grabbers to retrieve media from web browser cache.
  • Packet-sniffing to intercept page resources and passwords.
Contrary to what some "copy protect" developers claim, it is impossible to prevent copy using client side scripting such as JavaScript. It is also impossible to prevent copy without using a plugin (by installing a custom software) that interacts with the computer at system level system and "client-side" scripting does not nor ever will have the permissions to operate at that level. Anyone making claims to the contrary is preying on the user's and possibly their own naivety.

Today we have many different operating systems (OS), all of which fall into distinct family types such as Windows, Linux, Android, MacOS, etc. So designing a copy protection solution becomes most difficult and while it might be possible to provide plugins for all of these OS, in reality it is impossible because most either cannot support proper copy protection or are too unstable to survive a rollout, ie: by the time your user upgrades to the latest update that OS will more than likely be outdated.

Securing web page content in popular web browsers

There is no solution that will adequately protect content that can be used with all operating systems. Yes, there are solutions available for all OS but they have so many holes and they can be so easily exploited that you may as well not use protection. For example, how can anything be considered as being "protected" when all it takes is a click of the Print Screen button to create a screenshot of the whole page or part thereof?

However there are worthwhile solutions for Windows computers. ArtistScope, the founder of copy protection for the Internet and leading developer of DRM since 1998, provides the most secure copy protect solutions that are supported across all Windows versions since XP, 92% of all Internet users are supported. The remaining 8% is a mixture of OS, 2% of which are comprised of search engines and media grabbers.

The ArtistScope web browser plugin

ArtistScope provides a CopySafe Service is second to none when it comes to preventing copy from all methods including Print Screen and screen capture. CopySafe Web was first released in 1999 and it is supported on all Windows computers. Site visitors can use their favorite web browser and to view protected web pages, they can download and install the plugin just like they would when encountering Flash for the first time.

Using CopySafe Web on your web pages

CopySafe Web Protection is the most secure solution for displaying encrypted images and it is the encrypted image that activates the CopySafe plugin when it loads. Consequently any web page can be protected by simply adding a small CopySafe encrypted image and any media displayed on that page will also be protected. To apply CopySafe to a web page all one needs to do is add a few lines of HTML.

CopySafe is compatible with all types of web applications

CopySafe Web can be added to any web page regardless of the programming language is used. If you are using a CMS and/or have limited HTML skills, ArtistScope provides a variety of free modules for integrating CopySafe Web with most popular CMS solutions: Why undermine web security for the sake of 5% of users?

Although Mac users may disagree (because they tend to use sites recommended by other Mac users) usage logs from typical web sites indicate that Windows users make up for about 92% of their visitors. Of that remaining 8% only 5% are Mac users with the rest are made up of odd OS, search engines and spybots.

So for the sake of 5% of your site's visitors, why settle for a web browser that cannot be secure and cannot protect your media from piracy and plagiarism. Is that the business model that you want to invest in?

Downloading and evaluating CopySafe Web

The CopySafe Web software is provided to licensed users only, however there is a variety of demos online that show how different media can be protected. You can also download the CMS modules from the links above.


Return to top

Click for more Copy Protection resources.










 Copy Protection & DRM News

Copyright © 2013 Addmine. All Rights Reserved.
]